Thursday, August 23, 2012

My New Home


Hello all! Sorry for the lack of contact lately. It’s difficult to use a laptop when there isn’t  any electricity haha. I’m going to keep this short, but life is great here. It’s a beautiful landscape, and the people have all been extremely friendly, especially when they discover that I am not a tourist, and that I can hold my own in terms of Swahili. My days are spent playing soccer, walking around town (which is a half hour away), hanging out with other teachers, cooking, and reading. Cooking usually takes a couple of hours using a charcoal stove, but I have an abundance of free time so it isn’t really an issue. I’m a little disappointed because I’ve only been proposed to by three or four Tanzanian women since arriving in Karatu. School is on a break right now, so I’m not teaching at this point. I have helped do a few practicals in the laboratory though, and I’ve really enjoyed it. I should start teaching around September 10th. As for now, I am settling into my new home. It’s a small house, but more than enough for one person. Since I am not replacing a volunteer, I have had to purchase everything for my home. So far, I have bought a lot of cooking equipment. I hope to have a couch made, as well as a bookshelf. It is surprisingly cold here, which makes bucket baths kind of a pain, but I am getting used to it. I better go before my computer dies, but know that I am loving life right now. There are certainly some challenges, such as not having electricity or running water, but I have no complaints. I miss you all, and hopefully my next entry will be a little more descriptive. One more thing, I am now using the school’s P.O. Box. The address is as follows:

Kainam Rhotia Secondary School
P.O. Box 400
Karatu, Arusha

Just write my name somewhere in there and hopefully I will get it. Peace.

Matthew Wilbanks

3 comments:

  1. We were excited to hear from you! Sounds like things are going great! Glad to hear you are so happy! We love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful to hear about your adventures! Can't wait to read more! Take care! I love you!

    ReplyDelete